Solid Wood vs. Engineered Wood for Your Floor
by admin on March 9, 2015 with No Comments
When it comes to timber floors, Sydney residents know that these are just one of many flooring options they have when building a new home or renovating an older one.
The advantages of timber flooring are many – it is beautiful to look at, durable, hard wearing and comes in many different colours and textures. It adds value to your home and is very easy to maintain.
But should you choose a solid timber floor or one of engineered wood?
While most people know that solid timber is exactly that; solid timber, not everyone fully understands what engineered wood flooring is – or the benefits of each.
What is Engineered Wood?
Engineered wood is still pure timber; however, it is made up of many thin layers that are glued or veneered together. Sometimes the same timber is used for each layer; other times a different type of timber is used for the bottom layers. You could consider it a little more eco-friendly as it can use up more timber with less waste than solid timber floorboards.
The benefits of engineered wood are:
• Eco friendly
• Budget friendly
• Dimensionally stable as there is very little expansion or contractions
• Good variety of colours and grains
• The top layer is always of high quality timber
• Ideal for the basement where solid timber floors are not
• Can be placed over slab or other flooring
• Can be nailed or glued to the sub floor, depending on the type.
What about Solid Timber Floors?
Solid timber floors are also beautiful and add a great deal of value to the home. So let’s look at why hardwood timber flooring is the choice of many Sydney home builders and renovators.
The benefits of solid timber floors are:
• It is beautiful, with many colours, shades, textures and patterns
• It will go with any kind of decor
• It is durable
• It is easy to maintain
• It can be sanded back many times and made to look new again
• Even though it may be initially more expensive than some other options, the fact that it lasts for so long means that over time, it is a budget friendly choice.
• It is suitable for every room that is above ground.
• Timber is a renewable resource, so solid timber flooring is considered eco friendly.
So since both timber and laminate flooring in Sydney is popular, deciding which is best for your application can be difficult. It is always a good idea to discuss the finer details with a timber flooring specialist, like our team at Thrust. Contributing factors might include your actual project details, home design, budget and individual preferences.
We welcome your call today on 02 9533 9577 or feel free to send your enquiry by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Uncategorized (4)